Tuesday 13 May 2014

Affordable Art.

I came to the conclusion a while back that everybody in the world should own at least one piece of art - preferably one bought from me.

To help achieve this goal I set about making lots of affordable art 'Pocket Money Paintings' I called them. The most popular was 'Death To Everything That Is Not Guitar Music' - probably because Alex Kapranos bought one and tweeted about it. THANKS ALEX!

I really enjoy painting the same image over and over again (I ended up making 217 of the Death To Everything That Is Not Guitar Music paintings). The repetition of trying to create the same thing again and again is incredibly therapeutic and I often fall into an almost trance like state of meditation when I'm working on them. Also, as I'm actually trying to make each image identical, it is interesting for me to see the slight variations in every hand painted image - 'Why is that black line wobbly and that one not?' 'That tiny drawing of the Casio logo is much more authentic on the previous painting, what changed?' - that sort of thing.

The likely answer is probably that its my DYSPRAXIA affecting my coordination. However, I like to think what I'm doing is a form of automatic writing and that the wobbles and slight variations in each painting are a mapping of my mind during the process of creation. Maybe the line is wobbly because I had a good idea for a lyric I wanted to write down that I've now forgotten, or perhaps because I thought of something that made me happy I painted a little faster and it affected what I was attempting to do, maybe I was contemplating something sad and it put me off my painting game.

This recreation procedure for me is very clearly an elaborate way of navel gazing.

As much as I enjoy navel gazing and painting the same picture over and over and over and over  and over again, I've decided to finish up these particular paintings I've been doing for the last couple of years so I can concentrate on some new art.

I am going to miss them though and also the practice of making them so I've decided to give a few of them a lap of honour.

For the next month I'm going to put up one 'Pocket Money Painting' a week and for that week I'll make as many as people buy. Once the week is over that will be it for that particular pocket money painting and I'll never make one again - although I reserve the right to make a giant version of them at some point if I feel like it.

The first of the paintings that I'll be making for one week only is CLEVER CLEVER JAZZ in acrylic on canvas board ( 5" x 7" ) it is available in my MOTHERFUCKING shop for £13.50 as always postage is included to ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.


                                               RETURN TO THE MOTHERFUCKING SHOP
     

                                             






No comments:

Post a Comment